Wednesday, July 7, 2010

At LAST!!

Haha so after what seems like eternity, I am finally updating. Although it's not as detailed as it could be, it's still going to be a pretty jam packed update ^__^ So to catch up, I have met with Yuko-san, who is the daughter of a good family friend. She took me to a Russian restaurant in Shinjuku, which was totally awesome!! and sooo delicious! Anyways, we took a shot of vodka together (this means that Yuko-san has jumped up on the totally awesome people list.) This Friday I will probably go see a tea ceremony at the place where she takes classes, and then Saturday morning I will take a shinkansen to Okazaki. I am so excited!... and a bit nervous. Okazaki is somewhat of a rural area where hardly anybody speaks English. This will be a true test of my Japanese speaking ability. Hehehe... oh man...

Anyways, so after that the CIEE program organized a trip to Hiroshima and Miyajima. It was a really nice all expense paid trip. Aka... thanks to all the parents who paid our tuition that allowed us to go on this trip ;P On Friday night, we took a shinkansen to Hiroshima, and the trip would have been nice except for the fact that a couple of guys thought it would be cool to pregame a shinkansen. Idiots... who the hell pregames a shinkansen? Lucky for me and my friend... they sat right next to us. The total time it takes from Tokyo to Hiroshima is about four hours. During these four hours, not once did these guys stop talking. It came to the point that other Japanese passengers were starting to complain at how loud we were. They even threatened to talk to the authority and stop the train. Oh snap... they meant business.

So after we got to Hiroshima, we went straight to our hotel. Each person had our own room (big big mistake on their part... and you will find out later as to why.) We got to Hiroshima at around midnight and had to wake up early the next day so pretty much everyone passed out right away. Me included. Unfortunately come Saturday morning, when we had to get up at like 6 or 7, I woke up at 9. Just guess as to how I was woken up.... this gets kind of amusing now that I can reflect on it several weeks later. Anyways, I was woken up by the phone in the room. The CIEE group leaders had to get the front desk to call me and wake me up because I'm such a heavy sleeper that I somehow managed to sleep through the 6 alarms that I set for myself. Yes that's right 6 alarms!! >_<

So yeah, I was about 45 min late and pretty much missed the whole tour of the important aspects of Hiroshima. Luckily, Hiroko (the leader that stayed after and waited for me) was kind enough to show me around super quickly. Also luckily I made it in time to hear about the history lecture as well as a person account from a survivor of the atomic bomb. It was a really touching story. The woman that spoke to us was an amazing person. She has been in and out of hospitals due to complications to her health, and yet even with that, has had the courage to continue telling her story in hopes that others will understand and history does not repeat itself.

>I also forgot to mention that before the speech, we were able to go to the Peace Museum. It was quite gruesome. I don't know if this is ignorance or stupidity on my part, but I kept wondering during this whole trip whether there was still any radiation left anywhere... and whether I am coming in contact with it. You never know.... So after the speech, we got a quick tour of the area, and also saw the peace bell, and I got to ring it. By the way I have updated 215 photos just from the Hiroshima/ Miyajima trip. Check it out!!!! Unfortunately in the process of doing that, my camera battery died so I have to wait to charge the battery before I can upload the photos of Okinawa, and random shit in Tokyo.

I'll write more about Okinawa and such later when I upload the photos... just so I don't overwhelm you with facts :)

1 comment:

  1. ぐザちゃん、アプダイトありがとう!沖縄にも行ったの?すごい!うらやましい!温泉の写真もちょうカワイイ。料理もおいしいそう。よかったね。昨日、ミチコさんと話しました。ぐザちゃんが岡崎に来るのを楽しみにしています。:)楽しんでください。お父さんも日曜日岡崎に来ます。

    また岡崎の写真楽しみにしています。

    Molodec, ochen’ rada shto ti tak aktivno tam puteshestvuesh :) Bolshoy privet vsem v Okazaki.

    ReplyDelete